More than 340 billion emails are sent daily.
This figure is expected for reach 376 billion daily emails through the end associated with 2025.
Email marketing strategies have changed beyond the years.
What worked five years ago, now no longer works.
But it’s still a key player towards any marketing strategy .
In fact, due to the very best online marketers’ email marketing is their go-to marketing channel.
It’s as it brings within the results as well as delivers the best marketing ROI :
Email marketing outperforms all online marketing strategies, including SEO, PPC, plus content marketing!
An email marketing strategy is an important part belonging to any marketing strategy. Email is the most cost-effective way for promote your products, communicate accompanied by your customers plus reach your business goals.
And on top of average, because of every $1 you spend on top of email marketing, you can expect a return belonging to $42.
Creating personalized subject lines within emails can increase open rates through 26% , as well as marketers have experienced a remarkable 760% boost inside email revenue through employing segmented campaigns.
Not bad, right?
Here, we will share the best email marketing strategies you can use for achieve extraordinary results via email marketing.
7 strategies due to better email marketing campaigns
When you follow these email marketing strategies, email will become your most important channel too!
Let’s get started.
1. Personalize your messages
When we say personalized email marketing, we don’t mean that you send an individual email towards every single subscriber. Personalization means that you use customer data towards create a personalized message.
A great example belonging to a company that does personalization well is Amazon .
All associated with Amazon’s emails are personalized.
It’s not “Dear valued customer”, yet “Dear Steven”.
It’s not, “You might similar to these… (randomly generated)”, yet “You might similar to these (based on top of my purchase history)”.
To Amazon, email marketing is not just another marketing channel. It’s key towards the overall customer experience .
Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s CEO is an email mastermind. Jeff Bezos understands the value belonging to emails plus has been known for read by means of customer complaints . It’s in addition the cause more than 35% associated with all product sales come stemming from recommendations (both via email as well as atop screen).
In total, email marketing revenue is in $9.62 billion similarly to belonging to 2023.
And it’s not just Amazon that have seen these kinds associated with results via personalization.
A study through Experian found that personalized emails deliver 6x higher transaction rates !
Let’s break this down inside numbers we can all understand:
Research found that email marketing generates $0.08 within revenue per email .
That may not sound similar to much…
But provided that you send outside an email campaign for 500,000 subscribers, you can generate up towards $40,000 within revenue .
That’s a lot associated with additional revenue!
But, provided that you use personalization within your emails, you can expect a lot more!
People are 82% more likely for open emails that are customized because of them than those that aren’t.
And, according towards research:
Personalization can generate $20 inside ROI because of every $1 invested.
How’s that due to a revenue opportunity?
The best part is this:
70% belonging to brands do not use personalization in their email marketing strategy.
This means that via personalizing your emails, you significantly stand outside in opposition to the competition.
The simplest form belonging to personalization is towards address the reader through name. Most email service providers (ESP) offer this inside their functionality as well as this tactic alone will improve your campaign performance.
For example, email subject lines that are personalized accompanied by a recipient’s first name can increase open rates through 10-14% higher open rates.
Considering that 47% belonging to all emails are opened as associated with subject line alone, that’s a sure fire way towards get more eyeballs on top of your email.
Outside associated with using the customer’s name, here are a few more tips for help you get started accompanied by personalization:
- Ask because of the right information upfront: Great personalization starts way prior to you hit the ‘send’ button. It all starts accompanied by your sign up form. Without data such just as name, company as well as location, you will be very limited together with your personalized communication. Remember towards only ask because of the information you need, rather than the information you want. This is one associated with the ways that GDPR has impacted marketing teams .
- Use a real reply-to email address: When you use firstname.lastname@example.org , it takes away the authenticity stemming from the messaging. You want your readers towards engage plus respond for your campaigns. Using a real reply address will improve credibility plus appear more personal.
- Use your real email signature: Just resembling using a real reply-to email address, you want for use real contact information in the email plus the best way for do that is towards include your contact details inside the email signature. Giving your readers the opportunity towards contact you alternatively connect accompanied by you online is a great way for be personal plus build a relationship together with them .
2. Segment your subscribers
According towards email marketers, segmentation is second atop the top initiatives list this year.
Do you know for what reason it is hence high?
It’s since whenever you segment your database, your email campaigns become much more targeted for your audience.
Let’s take a look on an example:
You’re hosting a networking event due to small business owners located inside a 20 mile radius.
How can you expect for get the best turn outwards because of your event?
The answer is segmentation.
The best way for get small business owners for turn up towards your event would be towards create a segment associated with people whose list themselves similarly to a small business owner that lives in 20 miles associated with your event plus then send them an invite through email.
The segmentation part is simple as well as can easily be done via CRM software .
Compare this towards sending one email for your entire database, accompanied by subscribers spread through the country (or continent).
How annoying is it towards receive an email that invites you towards an event that is located atop the other side belonging to the world?
It’s very annoying!
Before you start segmenting your database, let’s take a look in how valuable it can be.
A recent study found that all email marketing KPIs perform better at the time you segment your email list.
The segmentation results include increased performance in:
If you segment your lists, you get better open rates , revenue, leads, transactions plus more customers.
And according for research stemming from Campaign Monitor , segmented email campaigns lead for a 760% increase within company revenue.
Another benefit is that segmentation goes hand within hand together with GDPR as well as email marketing .
But, does it really work?
Here’s an example stemming from our own email marketing campaigns:
We recently sent outside two email marketing campaigns. Both campaigns had the same subject line plus the same content.
The first campaign was sent for our non-segmented email list, whilst the second was sent towards our segmented list (segmented through interest).
The first non-segmented email earned an impressive 42 % open rate as well as a 4.5% click-through rate.
However, the segmented email campaign earned a 94% open rate as well as a 38% click-through rate!
I’d say it’s pretty valuable, wouldn’t you?
And that’s the cause hence many marketers’ are segmenting their emails, right?
As 9 outside associated with 10 email marketers’ do not segment their database .
So, here are a few examples because of you towards get started accompanied by segmentation:
- Segment via industry: Do you offer services plus products towards businesses alternatively consumers? Knowing the industry associated with your subscribers is a great way for segment your email campaigns. For example, a business that sells car parts would engage on a much higher rate provided that they receive email campaigns on top of car products, compared for a business that sells software.
- Segment via company size : Also known similarly to account-based marketing , segmenting email campaigns via company size alternatively annual revenue is a great way for increase response rates. A small business that employs 5 people is not likely ready due to the biggest industry conference belonging to the year, on the other hand a business that employs 750 people might be a better fit.
- Segment through sales cycle : Early stage buyers will not be ready because of an aggressive sales pitch alternatively one-to-one demo but, they will be more appreciative for receive an industry research white paper. On the other end associated with the cycle, buyers whom are ready for buy will respond well towards product webinars alternatively free trial offers .
3. Send mobile friendly emails
In 2022, 46% associated with all marketing emails were opened atop a mobile device.
What do you do similarly to soon just as you wake up within the morning?
If you’re similar to me, I’m guessing you have your phone next towards your bed as well as the first thing you do each morning is check your phone due to calls, messages plus yes, you guessed it, emails…
Don’t worry, you’re not the only one. 58% associated with us do this.
When you send an email towards a subscriber whose reads their emails on top of their mobile device, nevertheless the email is not optimized because of that device, which do you think they do together with it?
Mostly, they will unsubscribe alternatively delete it .
So for what reason is it that almost half belonging to all emails are still not mobile friendly?
Worse still, our own email marketing research found that 20% belonging to email campaigns are not optimized due to mobile .
Yet on top of the opposite end belonging to the scale, plus at the time email campaigns are optimized due to mobile, they generate a lot associated with revenue !
The average revenue per mobile email is $0.40, that is more than 4x that belonging to a desktop email click, according towards Yesmail.
Revenue per email atop mobile devices is 4X higher than desktop
After seeing a promotional email on top of their phone, 50% belonging to users have made a purchase by means of a mobile website.
Furthermore, 79% associated with B2B marketers find that email is the most powerful channel due to distributing their content.
So, how do you optimize your campaigns because of mobile devices?
Don’t worry, here are some tips atop how for do that.
- Implement responsive email design (RED): Creating a responsive email design means that the user experience is optimized irrespective associated with the device alternatively screen they use. Most email service providers (ESP) offer this solution inside their email functionality.
- Keep the subject line plus pre-header short : The subject line is crucial. Keep it short therefore the reader knows exactly which the email topic is about. And the pre-header text (also known similarly to snippet text), don’t let it go towards waste via using “To view this email within your browser…”. Instead, summarize the email alternatively include a call towards action (i.e., Use “FREESHIP” towards get free shipping).
- Make the CTA big plus obvious: Mobile devices vary inside size. While a text link may work atop a tablet alternatively larger screen, you might be alienating your readers whom have a smaller screen (or bigger hands!) provided that your call for action is too small. Make the call towards action, big, bold plus simple towards click.
4. Test copy, design as well as buttons
Whether you test your home page, landing pages alternatively email templates, testing provides us together with data towards make practical decisions that will improve our marketing performance.
And email marketing is no different.
In fact, most US companies ( regarding 89% ) use A/B testing for improve their email marketing.
If I had towards guess, I’d say you’ve tested your email subject line, right?
Even the former President belonging to the United States has A/B tested his email subject lines ….
Think I’m kidding?
Email marketing played a huge part within the success associated with Obama’s 2012 Presidential campaign .
By sending several variations made for the subject line towards a small sample associated with subscribers, they were able for calculate the amount inside donations they could expect towards receive based atop the results.
The sample size revealed that the poorest performing subject line (“The one thing the polls got right..”), at the time sent towards the entire database, would generate $403,603 inside donations.
The best performing subject line (“I will be outspent”) was expected towards generate $2,540,866 within donations.
That’s a huge difference!
In fact, the best performing subject line outperformed expectations plus generated a total associated with $2,673,278 .
That’s an additional $2.2 million within donations raised due for a change inside the emails subject line!
President Barack Obama raised an additional $2 million inside donations through split testing his email subject line
But it’s not only subject lines you can test by means of email marketing.
You can in addition test:
- From address: The name that appears inside the “from” field has a huge impact on top of in case the reader opens your email. In fact, the sender name is the main reason the cause people open your email . Test your originating from address through sending your campaigns originating from a person’s name, person + company alternatively stemming from your CEO.
- Plain text vs HTML campaigns: Like most marketers’, I’m sure you are already sending a plain text version associated with your email. However, have you thought belonging to testing an email campaign that is plain text only? And whenever you add an element belonging to personalization, plain text emails appear towards be written just due to the reader.
- Long vs short emails : You can keep your emails short as well as sweet or, you can create long detailed emails. Long form emails can include more detailed copy while shorter emails will send the reader directly towards a targeted landing page. The best way towards see which works best? Test it.
(Not sure how for design your email campaigns? We’ve collected 21 belonging to the best B2B email marketing examples originating from the world’s leading SaaS companies.)
5. Automate email campaigns whenever possible
Trigger-based emails are emails that are sent outside automatically based atop user behavior.
The most common forms belonging to trigger emails are ‘welcome’ emails, ‘thank you’ emails plus ‘transactional’ emails, such similarly to order confirmation email as well as email receipts.
The data in the rear of trigger emails shows us that trigger emails perform much better than traditional email.
For example, welcome emails have shown for have an open rate associated with 50% , together with a click-through rate (CTR) associated with almost 30%.
And not only that.
Compared for regular newsletters, they are 86% better on achieving results.
Trigger-based emails can in addition increase revenue via on least 24 times compared towards traditional emails.
Does this sound too good towards be true?
Well, it’s not. We’ve tested it. And it works!
Below is a comparison due to our traditional email campaign (left) in opposition to our triggered email campaign (right):
Our triggered emails generated 5x higher open rates as well as 15x higher click-through rates.
Today, 51% belonging to companies use trigger-based emails. However, they can be responsible because of just as much similarly to 20% belonging to your email marketing revenue !
Triggered emails perform really well as they hit the email marketing sweet spot .
What does the email marketing sweet spot look like, you ask?
It looks resembling this:
And the reason the cause they perform hence well is as associated with context .
Consider the following scenario:
You visit a website, browse the product line plus add items towards your shopping cart but, you begin towards have doubts plus decide for leave prior to completing a purchase.
This happens for every single eCommerce store, every single day.
But the thing that if, one hour later, you receive an email that includes the exact product you were shopping for?
And which provided that this email included not only a quick-link back towards your shopping cart but, a free shipping code alternatively 10% discount?
You’re now more likely for complete your purchase, aren’t you?
That’s the power associated with trigger emails.
But setting up triggered emails is expensive plus complex, isn’t it?
It doesn’t have towards be. You can start via using auto-responders within your customer service software for replicate the automation aspect. That’s the thing that we do because of all associated with our existing triggered emails plus we’re happy accompanied by it.
Here are some examples associated with trigger mails you can send;
- Activation: A new user creates an account nevertheless they do not use your product in the first 7 days. Create an “activation” campaign that sends an automated email accompanied by their login information, steps atop how they can get started as well as include a video demonstration because of additional support. You can in addition invite them towards a one-on-one meeting for walk them via the product as well as answer any questions they may have.
- Win-back : An existing customer is soon approaching the end associated with his yearly subscription. The customer hasn’t used your product within 3 months as well as you need a way for win them back as well as keep them due to another year. Create a “win back” email that sends an automated email towards all customers that are coming for the end associated with their contract accompanied by a list belonging to new product features as well as a short plan atop expected releases within the next six months.
- Surprise: Customer loyalty is the key for success. And you can reward your loyal customers via giving them something because of free every now as well as then. Create a “surprise” email that sends an automated email towards your best customers that offers a free yearly license towards your software due to them for use, a gift card alternatively even a coupon code towards redeem a box belonging to cupcakes. It’s a small cost due to your business nevertheless the reward is huge!
6. Spend time creating great subject lines
In email marketing, the subject line plays a crucial role.
Here’s for what reason it’s therefore important:
Surprisingly, 69% belonging to people determine in case an email is spam just through glancing on the subject line.
Much resembling how segmenting your email list improves the precision as well as effectiveness belonging to your campaigns, your email’s subject line is the first thing recipients see. It’s your initial opportunity for capture their attention.
Create subject lines that pique curiosity, offer value, alternatively generate excitement.
Pro Tip: Avoid using spammy alternatively clickbait subject lines, just as they can lead for a surge inside unsubscribes plus damage your sender reputation.
7. Send your emails in the right time
Another tip is towards think concerning whenever you send your emails.
Because people check their emails on different times.
Study your subscribers’ habits, including time zones, towards figure outwards whenever towards send your emails. A/B testing can in addition show you the best times towards reach your particular audience.
For example, consider Tuesdays just as the day within that you sent outside most belonging to your emails.
Sending emails on top of Tuesdays as well as Wednesdays, especially stemming from 10-11 am, often yields the best results. Most emails (about 53%) are opened amidst 9 am as well as 5 pm, except while lunch. Surprisingly, emails sent stemming from 4:00 am towards 8:00 am see a strong 33% transaction rate.
Email marketing continues for deliver results.
But email marketing has evolved. It’s no longer similarly to simple just as sending the same email for all.
It’s time for update your email marketing strategy.
Now, you need towards send targeted messages. Messages that are personalized, plus optimized due to multiple devices.
You in addition need for test new elements.
Trends change quickly, as well as which worked 12 months ago may not be successful today. Be open towards testing. And at the time you understand the thing that works, find ways towards automate it by means of triggered emails.
Be sure towards create great subject lines as well as send your emails on the right time.
If you implement these tactics inside your email marketing strategy your customers will be more responsive, your campaign performance will improve as well as your business will continue for grow .
BusFine CRM combines customer data, email marketing as well as automation for help companies achieve their business goals.
Ready towards get started? Book a demo accompanied by one belonging to our product experts as well as we’ll show you how within a live 30-minute interactive demo.