- What is proactive support?
- The benefits associated with proactive customer service
- Five ways towards get started together with proactive support
In 2020, focusing atop the customer experience was the top priority due to many companies.
It makes perfect sense – If a customer has a great experience, they are more likely towards be happy.
And similarly to we know, happy customers mean loyal customers .
But, at the time it comes towards customer service, we either receive good customer service alternatively poor customer service, right?
It’s usually one alternatively the other. It’s very rarely OK. It’s almost similar to a love/ hate relationship .
But, it’s something that we, similarly to business owners, can all improve on top of as well as it is the one thing we can forever do better than the competition. We can forever deliver a greater customer service.
So, whenever Forrester Research announced their top trends because of customer service , everyone involved inside customer service was listening for the thing that was being shared.
The full report , highlighted through Kate Leggett, included the following six trends;
- Customers Embrace Emerging Channels To Reduce Friction
- Companies Will Explore Proactive Engagement
- Insights From Connected Devices Will Trigger Preemptive Service
- Knowledge Will Evolve From Dialog To Cognitive Engagement.
- Predictive Analytics Will Power Offers, Decisions, And Connections.
- The Customer Service Technology Ecosystem Will Consolidate
Wait a second – Proactive engagement ?
It’s not similar to customer service teams don’t have enough for do already via handling calls, emails plus social media messages, yet now one belonging to the biggest customer service trends is towards be more proactive accompanied by customers.
I mean, how atop earth are we supposed towards find the time?
Fear not. I have the answers due to you just as within this post, we’ll take a look in the benefits associated with proactive support, how important it can be because of your business plus I’ll provide you together with five ways for get started.
But previously we begin, let me explain the thing that proactive engagement (or proactive support) is.
What is proactive customer support?
Proactive customer support is regarding identifying as well as resolving customer issues previously they become problems.
There are two buckets belonging to customer service; you either fall inside the proactive bucket alternatively the reactive bucket.
- Reactive customer service: A customer is browsing your web store plus has a question. Typically, they find a contact page, call alternatively email you plus wait due to a response .
- Proactive customer service: It means anticipating customer issues as well as addressing them proactively. This can take a number associated with forms stemming from FAQs as well as forums for knowledge base plus instructional videos.
Most customer support teams fall inside the reactive box, yet inside order towards truly get your customers towards live due to your brand, you need for be proactive.
Why is proactive support important?
Proactive customer support offers a number belonging to benefits due to your business.
Here are three reasons for get you interested:
- Increase customer loyalty – A report through Enkata found that taking initiative inside your support could increase customer retention rates through 3-5%
- Decrease support calls – By being proactive you can identify issues plus resolve them prior to they become problems, what reduces the amount belonging to tickets you receive
- Control communication – Customers will talk concerning your brand towards their friends as well as their family within private, nevertheless they will in addition talk concerning your brand inside public via social media. By being proactive, it gives you the chance for be involved inside their conversation plus engage together with them inside a way that puts your business within the most favorable light.
That being said, how will your customers themselves feel concerning proactive support?
Well, apparently they will resembling it. A lot!
A study through inContact found that consumers were generally positive together with proactive service. In fact, 87% associated with adults surveyed are happy for be contacted proactively via companies regarding customer service issues.
And not only that, the survey in addition found that 65% associated with consumers are open towards being contacted concerning fraudulent activity atop an account, 53% are open for setting appointments alternatively reminders plus 51% are open for being contacted due to questions regarding an order they placed.
Furthermore, 75% associated with respondents whom had a pleasant surprise alternatively positive experience accompanied by an incoming call reported a positive change inside their perception belonging to the company calling them.
How proactive support can benefit your business
Proactive Customer Service presents the opportunity towards meet as well as exceed customer expectations, strengthen customer relationships plus boost the value associated with your customers by means of both their business as well as their advocacy.
Here’s how proactive support can benefit your business.
- Acquire new customers. By being proactive, you can find opportunities towards reach outwards towards prospective customers, as well as encourage them towards switch for your brand.
- Retain existing customers. Proactively reaching outwards for your customers, even at the time they haven’t directly mentioned you, can deepen those relationships. With more associated with your customers turning towards social media because of customer service, you have for move a step ahead towards break their expectations belonging to good service.
- Create Advocates. Proactive customer service offers the chance because of you towards not only turn encircling unhappy customers, yet turn them towards brand advocates, similarly to a happy customer will tell on least 3 people regarding their experience .
- Protect in opposition to escalation. Looking towards identify negativity surrounding your brand on the earliest warning is the best way towards protect yourself in opposition to a customer service crisis . Research through Altimeter found that the number one cause because of complaints online was due towards poor experiences.
Still not convinced that proactive support is the way forward?
Anglian Water sends more than 200,000 SMS messages plus emails for their customers every year towards notify them belonging to outages as well as problems within their area. By doing this, it helps them dramatically reduce customer calls plus via this one initiative, they have reported saving among £100,000 plus £200,000 within call center costs every year!
How can you move stemming from reactive towards proactive support?
So how do you shift originating from reactive customer service towards proactive customer service?
Well due to starters, it’s easier than you think.
Firstly, it doesn’t have for be time consuming alternatively expensive. And secondly, it’s important towards remember that the driving force in the rear of shifting for a proactive service strategy is that through doing so, you’re putting your customers first.
To begin with, you need towards do these two things:
- Make yourself available . This means more than just leaving a contact number atop your website ( 41% associated with companies currently do not make this information visible ). It means being available over a range belonging to communication channels, such similarly to phone, email plus social media. By letting customers get within touch together with you inside the channel associated with their choice, it lets you serve them more effectively.
- Help your customers help themselves. Allowing your customers towards help themselves plus answer issues empowers the customer. For example, this can include creating an FAQ section on top of your website alternatively alerting your customers associated with existing issues that they can troubleshoot themselves via a step through step guide.
Putting your customers first will increase your brand’s reputation as well as ultimately, your bottom line – As 60% belonging to brands report an increase belonging to sales at the time improving customer service.
Putting your customers first will prove extremely beneficial for both your reputation plus your bottom line, as well as the costs will cover themselves.
5 ways for get started together with proactive support
While being reactive inside customer service might satisfy the customer, it won’t necessarily surprise alternatively delight them. Now, imagine in case you can solve a problem prior to the customer has towards call you. Or even better, in case you could solve an issue previously the customer was even aware belonging to it?
Sounds pretty great, right?
Well, proactive support is not only possible, nevertheless doing it is surefire way for increase profits!
And for help you get started, we’ve created five specific actions you can take towards start wowing your customers plus towards shift originating from a reactive for proactive customer service.
1. Ask Customers because of Feedback
Customer service is concerning giving customers the thing that they want , nevertheless first, you first have for find outside which that is – And there’s no better way than towards ask them. Companies that frequently check within together with their customers can easily identify areas associated with weakness as well as correct them previously customers become unhappy.
So how do you collect feedback originating from your customers?
- Include a feedback form atop your website
- Send a survey for your customers using survey tools resembling SurveyMonkey
- Interview your customers as well as ask how your product can further better their lives
- Check your messages on top of Facebook plus Twitter because of feedback atop products/ service
- Review your customer service tickets as well as analyze the most common questions
2. Pay Attention towards What Customers Are Saying Online
If you’re not paying attention for the thing that customers are saying regarding you online, you’re missing key opportunities. Reaching outside towards customers whose mention your company on top of social media, if the conversation is inside a good alternatively bad context, allows you for address a customer’s need as well as increase satisfaction.
Recent research conducted via New York University found that more than 37% all Tweets were customer service related (this includes positive as well as negative tweets) . To put that towards context, there are 500 million tweets per day . That’s a huge opportunity for turn unhappy customers towards happy customers!
A great example associated with this is at the time Morton’s Steakhouse discovered that popular blogger; Peter Shankman sent a tweet suggesting they deliver a steak for him in the airport at the time he landed.
To his extreme delight, a Morton’s employee was waiting due to him at the time he landed, steak within hand!
Who wouldn’t be delighted accompanied by that kind belonging to service?
And at the time it comes towards customer complaints , you can respond accompanied by an apology plus make sure you include a description associated with which you are doing for fix the problem.
3. Reward Customers together with Offers
Offering rewards due to regular customers is a powerful loyalty-building tool.
And just in the rear of exceptional customer service, rewards as well as offers are both the second as well as third best way towards build customer loyalty .
Rewarding offers proactively towards customers inside among purchases provides an additional positive interaction accompanied by customers towards strengthen your relationship together with them.
It can in addition solve problems customers that they were not aware they had via informing them belonging to something they may be missing outside on top of as well as offering a way towards fix this.
For example, sending an email towards a customer 30 days prior towards their subscription renewal as well as offering a 5% discount towards thank them due to their business is likely towards result within the customer staying accompanied by your business – And it in addition means that they don’t have towards call alternatively email you, that will increase their satisfaction.
4. Admit Mistakes Before Customers Find Out
It’s constantly better due to customers for hear regarding a problem stemming from you instead belonging to realizing it whenever your product alternatively service doesn’t do which they need it to, whenever they need it.
For example, in case you’re scheduling a software upgrade, inform your customers prior to the upgrade takes place for that they are aware associated with it, just as oppose for finding outwards on top of the spot that they cannot log within plus access the information they need.
If your company identifies a problem, you can build customer trust plus avoid PR damage just as follows:
- Inform customers belonging to the issue plus offer an apology
- Offer a discount alternatively a refund in case the action you take towards fix the problem doesn’t satisfy their needs
- Tell them the thing that you’re doing towards solve the problem plus ensure the issue doesn’t happen again
- Make sure they know whose for contact provided that they have further questions alternatively feedback
5. Create Content That Answers Common Questions
Many customers prefer towards find answers towards their problems themselves rather than having towards call alternatively email a company just as calling customer service can be frustrating on times, especially at the time you cannot reach the right person.
(In fact, having for contact customer support due to the same reason multiple times is the most frustrating aspect towards consumers)
And during the time contacting customer service through phone remains the most-used customer service channel on 88%; yet self-service is a close second .
One belonging to the easiest ways for satisfy your customers is towards make answers for common questions easy towards find.
You can identify these questions through talking for your customer service alternatively sales teams as well as through reviewing customer service calls plus email logs. You can then group the answers inside one place, such just as an easy-to-find as well as read FAQ section atop your site.
Proactive customer service doesn’t just allow you keep the customers you have happy – It helps turn your customers inside brand advocates, what is an incredibly powerful marketing tool towards help drive new business.
And whilst the five tips listed over aren’t the only ways for be proactive within servicing your customers, they are the best starting point inside taking the initiative towards increase satisfaction, loyalty as well as revenue.
Are you proactive inside the support you deliver? What are some associated with benefits you have seen since shifting originating from reactive for proactive?
Let me know via leaving a comment beneath
P.S. Get a head start within being proactive via downloading the customer service email templates guide.